The boutique hotels in San Francisco Downtown combine historic charm, modern luxury amenities, and world-class hospitality, to let you experience an unforgettable romantic getaway or weekend break for two.
Whether you like unique-designed rooms or prefer the comfort of the classics, the city is filled with exceptional hotels to make you feel the perfect escape from the ordinary.
Read on our best boutique hotels in San Francisco Downtown to gain ideas for your next romantic trip.
1. Hotel Triton – a Kimpton Hotel
The Kimpton Hotel is located across the street from the Chinatown gates and a short walk from Moscone Center and North Beach.
- Prime location. The legendary Union Square is only 5 minutes walk away.
- Uniquely designed hotel with guest rooms that pay tribute to Jack Kerouac.
- Rooms feature windows that open and eco-friendly boutique bath amenities.
- Pet-friendly hotel.
- Hosted evening wine hour, 24-hour fitness center, business and social event space, and wedding services.
Booking.com profile: Hotel Triton
2. Inn at Union Square
This boutique inn is located in the heart of Union Square, just minutes from the iconic cable car, Golden Gate Bridge, and the scenic Fisherman’s Wharf.
- One of the most elegant and highly-rated boutique hotels in San Francisco Downtown.
- European-style hotel.
- The well-appointed hotel rooms exude style and charm and provide amenities like luxury bedding, plush pillow-top mattresses, dark wood furnishings, spa-style robes, and nightly turndown service.
- Wonderful facilities for business meetings & events.
- 100% Non-Smoking Hotel.
- A Green Hotel – a certified member of the California Green Lodging Association.
Booking.com profile: Inn at Union Square
3. Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel is located in the heart of Union Square, just steps from the Financial District and cultural attractions such as the Moscone Convention Center and several world-class museums.
- Combines original Art Deco and Art Nouveau design elements with contemporary touches like designer furnishings and mosaic glass walls.
- A rooftop terrace with an urban garden and a walking track.
- Parisian-style brasserie showcases classic French dishes.
- Room service.
- Business meeting space.
- Pet-friendly hotel.
Booking.com profile: Galleria Park, a Joie de Vivre hotel
4. Palihotel San Francisco
Palihotel San Francisco offers a sleek retreat, conveniently located just 2 blocks from Union Square and Powell Street.
- The luxurious guest rooms provide marble bathrooms and blackout curtains.
- One of the most romantic boutique hotels in San Francisco with a design that combines classic and contemporary California-Centric styles and features like wood paneling, ceramic tiles, and a delightful soft color scheme.
- On-side loft-style restaurant, lobby lounge, and liquor bar.
- 24-hour concierge staff and a business center.
Booking.com profile: Palihotel San Francisco
5. White Swan Inn
Located 5 minutes’ walk from San Francisco’s vibrant Union Square, White Swan Inn is one of the most romantic boutique hotels in San Francisco Downtown.
- Blends the charm of an old English country home with the hip and sophisticated mod look of 1960’s London.
- Uniquely decorated guest rooms, each furnished with a gas fireplace.
- Rooms feature also soaking tubs and perfectly plush, pillowtop beds.
- A breakfast basket, wine and snacks delivered to their room in the evening.
6. The Clift Royal Sonesta San Francisco
Clift is located just steps from Union Square and close to Moscone Convention Center, Nob Hill, Fisherman’s Wharf, Embarcadero, and the Golden Gate Bridge.
- The hotel design and ambiance reveals the past and embraces the accelerating pace of the future.
- A restaurant and a bar.
- 12,524 square feet of function and event space.
- 24-hour fitness center.
- Concierge services.
Booking.com profile: The Clift Royal Sonesta San Francisco
7. Hotel Kabuki
Hotel Kabuki blends traditional Japanese-style decor with modern amenities. It is located in San Francisco’s Japantown, connected to the Nihonmachi Mall, just moments away from the Fillmore District, Hayes Valley, and Union Street.
- Japanese-inspired backdrops and a Zen garden.
- An on-site bar that serves Japanese whisky, sake, and beer.
- Rooms have contemporary Japanese design as well as plush beds and luxurious linens.
- State-of-the-art Gymnasium.
- Pet-friendly hotel rooms.
Booking.com profile: Hotel Kabuki